After our stay in a luxurious suite at the Marriot, we finally made it to the LAX Airport and find ourselves waiting for a LONG flight. Most likely, I will be sleeping 75% of the time, so I'm taking advantage of the time I have while I'm semi-coherent.
Here are some of my expectations for the upcoming trip:
- Direction for the future: Our plan is to be in Cambodia long-term, so my prayer is that the Lord gives Noelle and I specific direction for our near future.
- A good understanding of the ministry we will be working with. Obviously, we have a basic understanding of what In His Steps International does or we wouldn't be considering spending the rest of our lives there, but I want an in-depth understanding of their program. I want to see it first hand and work side by side with Eric & Ginny Hanson - founders of In His Steps International.
- Photography: I'm planning on using this skill long term once we arrive in Cambodia permanently. Hopefully, I will get a glimpse of the possibilities on this trip. I can't wait to shoot till my shutter goes dead!!
- Develop more of a heart for the lost: I feel as though this comes in waves for me. I want a consistent burning for the lost. A burden for their salvation! I pray the Lord further increases this desire in me.
That's it for me. Now it's Noelle's turn. Noelle - take it over!
- Building Relationships: I am excited to continue and build some of the relationships I started a couple of years ago the last time I came. It is a privilege to work alongside Eric and Ginny's Cambodian staff and I can't wait to begin getting to know them.
- Getting an Idea of Where I Fit: My hope is that God will begin to reveal what part I might play with In His Steps. This remains pretty undefined for me. I am okay with that most of the time (except when my performance-oriented ways of living kick in!). In my experience of walking with God, so often He shows me the next step and fills in the details once I am there. My role at theMILL has been very much like that. I am not as concerned with what I will actually do -- so often, as Americans, that becomes our primary concern -- but rather how God will use who I am.
- Deepening My Capacity to Love: Every time I work with people, my capacity to love is expanded. Some days it is easy to walk with people and love them wholeheartedly, other days I am more acutely aware of how needy I am of God's help. I expect to catch His heart for the world, and specifically Cambodia, in deeper ways and I am open to that being both a beautiful and challenging process.
This is not an expectation, but I am very excited to spend two weeks with my husband, praying and dreaming. I am also very excited to hang out with a couple whom we really admire and enjoy. That's all for now!
Jacob & Noelle