It's been awhile since we tag-teamed our newsletter, so we thought it would fun to give you individual updates from Noelle and myself. We just can't believe how fast 2014 is going. Cambodia has officially entered rainy season, which means cooler temps, flooding and smelly trash. Fun, huh? Actually, we both really enjoy this season. It can be quite humid, but once a storm comes through, there is a nice wind that comes along with it. So refreshing! In fact, there are days where we can even pull out a candle and blanket. It's not actually cold outside, but if we think about it really hard, we can make it happen in our minds :).
- I've been doing language 5+ times a week on a full-time basis. I absolutely love it! I feel like I'm really starting to see some overall progress. I've just begun to read the Bible in Khmer and learn "Christian" words. Phalla, my newer teacher has really helped take me to the next level. He has a substantial English vocabulary which is great for understanding translation and learning more advanced terms. Aaron is also bringing home more challenging Khmer homework which I'm also able to check for accuracy and also encourage him to speak more in Khmer.
- Going home: Caleb and I will be traveling home on 2 September and coming back on the 20th. We wish it was all of us together, but the foster/adoption process for Aaron is still in the works. The government here has changed seats so they are still getting their acts together. As a result, it's taking longer than anticipated. It's been over 3 years since we've traveled home, so we have decided to take turns. We miss you all and are excited to connect. I'll be staying with my Dad for the two weeks; hope to see many of you during my visit!
I keep pretty busy with my work at Sak Saum which I really love. We are busy working on a new catalog for the fall. I always say it is like Christmas every day because of all of the beautiful products I am surrounded with. And I love the young men and women I get to connect with daily. It is such a joy to work alongside them. Caleb loves his friends there and it has been a natural connection point in the nursery for discussing parenting and connecting with the other young moms and their kids.
I have also had the privilege of helping develop a Sunday School curriculum for the Gospel Community Church in Saang, IHSI’s church plant. We have 8 children or so every week and have been working through the Bible over the course of a year. It has been fun seeing the teachers, translators and children growing and learning together.
Last but NOT least, I am so excited that my dad is coming for a visit! He will be here in August and then will fly back to the States with Jacob. His upcoming arrival has launched me into full-on nesting, guest room mode. =)
If you would like to know the latest from IHSI, you can read their blog here. They also recently created a way to receive prayer updates via email and you can sign up for that on the website.
Sak Saum will be having a Christmas in July sale which would be a great time to do some Christmas shopping! Visit www.saksaum.com/store to buy products online and follow Sak Saum on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/saksaum) for all the latest happenings.
- Jacob and Caleb’s trip home to the States and Bruce Nygren’s trip here — safe and smooth transitions for all.
- Movement with Aaron’s foster care paperwork so that we can move on to the next adoption phase.
- Continued health, protection, and growth for all IHSI and Sak Saum staff.
Thanks so much for your love and care! We miss you.